Monday 18 January 2010

A feminist Avatar

I bloody loved Avatar, I really did. I mean, I felt like I’d been smacked in the face a few thousand times and just watched an extended adult version of the Moomins, but I lead guy Sam Worthington did a terrific job (did anyone else think his voice was identical to Mel of the Gibson?) and Aliens star Sigourney Weaver was as chain-smokingly gnarly as ever.


Brave and refreshing to have a wheelchair bound vet as its hero, Neytiri did wonders for our image of heroine. If in doubt, spit like a cat. It’s a lesson for all of us. Of course Pandora was essentially still run by a man (we can’t expect Hollywood to address all of it’s Americanisms at once) but the women were feisty, independent and strong. Just what we like to see. Bravo.

I then went home and upholstered a chest and chair for the bedroom. Is this feminism, anti-feminism or just plain getting on with doing up the house? You decide.

No comments: