Tuesday 8 June 2010

A standing ovation for the world's worst excuse

I feel compelled to write about this.

84% of pregnant women have been forced to stand on their commute to/from work because other commuters don't give up their seats. This according to Mothercare owned gurgle, which also highlight that most other commuters blame not knowing whether the woman is pregnant or simply carrying a little extra weight.

I've never been pregnant. But I know what a pregnant tummy looks like. And it doesn't look like fat.

It seems to be the group mentality. Once 5, 10, 20 seconds has passed without someone offering up a seat, everyone sits soundly in the knowledge that everyone else also had their chance to be chivalrous.

Frequently on my latterly commutes from East Sussex into London I would leave my window seat to offer pregnant women my seat, having to displace the odd young man on the aisle seat as I did it. No excuse.

One time a young woman fainted right into my arms as we stood by the train door pulling off from London Bridge station. I helped her up, collected the girl's belongings for her and had to actually ask a fellow commuter to give her their seat. Which they did, grudgingly.

What is it about the commute which does this to people? We've got a few bumps in the office this summer - spring certainly had an affect down here in Cornwall - and I'd be mortified to think of them standing on their way into work.

No comments: