Thursday 5 May 2011

#yestoAV if we can #getoutofbed

Voting felt a little strange this morning.

Not least because it was before nine and I was in a church hall. Not least because I was in a church hall at all. But because I was the only one.

Three helpful referendum assistants (I'm sure that's not their formal job title) jumped to tend to my every need.


One to take my postal invite, the other to cross of my name (very neatly) from a master list, the other to, I don't know, check pencils are sharpened well enough? He lingered, anyhoo.

Where was everyone else? Surely my Newquay town peers care about the future of our vote? Don't they?

With Cornwall's local elections put back until 2013, giving our new Unitary Council a fun-packed four-year term in office, perhaps people just weren't inclined to get out of bed to exercise democracy.

What a shame as it’s their very democracy at stake.

If there wasn't already enough reason to vote #yestoAV, as it's known on Twitter, this was the Mail's front page today:


Following an earlier tweet saying Hitler would have got into power 10 years earlier under FPTP, West Briton reporter Anthony Bonnici tweeted "Now really concerned no matter what voting system I pick the Nazis will get into power sooner or later".

No comments: