Tuesday 21 February 2012

The conundrum of pinterest

I joined as a bona fide member this week. Months after pouring over delicious recomendations and inspirational 'pins' from other people I was free to do it myself.

Pin, pin, pin. Over 50 of the things in fewer than 24 hours.

That was before I read a little part of the pinterest site called 'etiquette'.

I wasn't forwarded to this part of the site on joining. I was emailed with basic instructions, how to download a pin button on Firefox, and merrily nudged to steer clear of posting nudity (shudder at the thought).

But now I've done my research. In fact, right down there in the small print pinterest asks that the pinners are exclusive owners of the content they are referring. Or at least credits source.

That hasn't been my experience, either in browsing or pinning. In fact, the very idea of a 'pin' button encourages the recommendation of content while you are 'out and about' in the web-esphere, hitting the button whenever you come across something worth sharing.

I fear I've broken 'the rules' 50 times over (although the pins still link to the original source -is that 'credit' enough?).

However, if I was exclusive owner of everything I pinned, surely that would just be an image bank of my own blog (pretty boring and not all-encompassing of everything that inspires me - far from it)?

Even more confusingly it then asks that you don't self-promote. These seem to be at total juxtaposition to each other.

Does pinterest obscure the *actual* terms of use in order that we use it as we have been, accepting that websites against will embed the coding which restricts people from pinning?

Or should I just give myself up now? It's a fair cop...

No comments: