Friday 15 October 2010

Is all lost under Red Ed?

I got a text while sunning myself in Portugal at end of last month. It was from my boss, and it read, simply "Ed- 1, Dave - 0". It took me just a moment or two until I realised what he was telling me. Red Ed had snatched victory from under his brother's nose.

On my return I found out it was even more serious than that. Ed won on the back of the trade union vote - allowed a bigger proportion of the vote than individual members of the Labour party.
Pic c/o PA

While the country reels from quick, harsh public sector cuts from the Tories (I'm not even going to mention the Libs as they are now Tory in my eyes) I've been reliably informed the speed and severity of the cuts is no accident. It means services will be irreparable even into the next term, so Labour's chance of snatching victory and then quickly mending our battered country is even slimmer.

And who's going to vote for Red Ed? Are enough people die-hard liberals to vote for him? Wasn't Dave our chance of easing back into Labour in an un-frightening, charismatic manner?

I think, terrifyingly, all might be lost.

No comments: