Thursday 29 April 2010

Getting even, Mr Churchill

I’ve got to say, I don’t know a great deal about Winston Churchill. But I know I don’t think about Nick Griffin whenever I do think about him. In fairness I try quite hard to not think about Nick Griffin if at all possible.

So it was with some surprise that I find the two nestled together on my local constituency BNP candidate flier.



Also of surprise were the words ‘We’re not second class citizens!’ (the exclamation mark scares me). To whom? How do they know who I am? Should I presume they mean ‘we’ are ‘British born’? Or ‘white’? And should I presume if there’s an ‘us’ there’s a ‘them’? Non British born? Non white? With BNP struggling against a racist image, this candidate flier seems deliberately vague on the details.

Even more chilling is the final statement ‘GET EVEN – vote British National Party’. Get even? Let us try to forget the fact we’re still not entirely clear on whom we’re supposed to be getting even on, how is voting BNP going to ‘get even’? And how do the BNP intend on 'getting even’ on our behalf?

The whole leaflet left me feeling a little chilled and even more grateful that I don’t swing in circles dark enough to know anyone who votes to ‘get even’.

Crumbs. A long way to go, Mr Griffin, a long way to go...

Hear the St Austell and Newquay constituency candidate debate on podcast here.

No comments: