Wednesday 28 April 2010

Whose idea was that?

As yes, poor Gordon. We've all done it. Met someone we don't particularly bond with. Be perfectly pleasant and socially graced to their face. Then sit in the back of our chauffeur driven car (*ok, not all of us) and had a little rant about how much we hated them.
But old Gord had his mic still on.

"...should never have put me with that woman - whose idea was that? Just ridiculous... she's just a bigoted woman - says she used to be Labour..."



In his apology he tries to put it in context for us. The woman asked about immigration. Brown says he didn't have reasonable time or quiet to give her a considered response because of the milieu around them. "I blame myself for what is done. You've got to remember that this was me being helpful to the broadcasters with my microphone on, rushing into the car because I had to get to another appointment. They have chosen to play my private conversation with the person who was in the car with me. I know these things can happen. I apologise profusely to the woman concerned."

I've got to say, I think it's a tiny bit sly of Sky. Would they have released the same audio had it been their bestest buddy Dave of the Cam?

We weren't there. Perhaps the woman in question was bigoted and we'd've said just the same. But perhaps she wasn't and she didn't deserve a slamming by a PM whose party has been held responsible for putting the issue of immigration back on the political agenda (there - spoken like a true Cameron).

But has it ruined Brown's chances of retaining the crown?

No comments: